Saturday, November 17, 2018

Week 8 - #CathEdSocial - #NCEA19 Convention & Expo: Preliminary Sessions of Interest

Week 8 - #CathEdSocial - #NCEA19 Convention & Expo: Preliminary Sessions of Interest
This blog is written as part of the NCEA Social Media Influencer Contest.

I am SO EXCITED to attend the NCEA 2019 Convention and Expo in Chicago from April 23 to 25, 2019!  I had the opportunity this week to tweet about the published schedule of preliminary sessions for the upcoming #NCEA19.  And I found at least 1 or 2 sessions in each of the 21 different categories of breakout sessions offered!  Here is a breakdown of the sessions that I feel the Holy Spirit is leading me to attend in each category.  However, as past NCEA Social Media Influencer contest winner, Adam Cottos, writes in his blog: "Sometimes we need to let go of our plan and let the Spirit lead us to His plan."  So true!  But here is MY plan of sessions I'd like to attend:

Academic Content Areas Sessions = 56 total sessions!
I am excited to hear Michelle Lia from The Andrew M. Greeley Center for Catholic Education at Loyola University Chicago present about incorporating religion and literature.  Sometimes in Catholic schools we add on the "Catholic part" to lessons when we need to use a Catholic lens to teach in our Catholic schools. 


I am really excited to hear Denise Bibly, the Technology Coordinator at National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, St. Joseph School in Lockport, Illinois present about digital discipleship.  I want to learn more about how to be disciples and not just good digital citizens.  #StJoeLockport represent!


I used the Flipped Classroom teaching methodology in my 8th grade math classroom, and I am looking forward to collaborating with other Catholic educators who are trying this too.  I am always looking to improve my teaching craft, and collaborating with other teachers helps me do this!  The presenters are teachers at Holy Cross Academy in St. Louis.



Adult Formation Sessions = 19 total sessions!


Seriously, any time that I have heard Joe Paprocki present, he has amazed me.  And anytime that I can get some spiritual tips on how to get closer to Jesus, I.  Am.  There.  I'm looking forward to jumpstarting my own faith formation with this breakout session!


I'm excited to listen to Dr. David Spesia, a Catholic educational leader and missionary disciple, present on Pope Francis' apostolic exhortation on the call to holiness, Rejoice and Be Glad.  Dr. David is an engaging speaker and an expert in his field.  And I am excited to hear what he has to say about applying our Holy Father's words into our lives.


Kristin Melley is the Director for Professional Development for the Roche Center for Catholic Education at Boston College, and Fr. Ronny O'Dwyer is the Director of the Billiken Teacher Core at Saint Louis University.  And I need to know all I can about leading faculty retreats!



Assessment Sessions = 11 total sessions!
Faith-based curriculum is something that I would like to learn more about!  In Catholic schools, sometimes we tend to "add on" the Catholic part to the ends of content area lessons, but really, we should be teaching all areas of our Catholic school curriculums by using a Catholic lens.  This session might give me a chance to ask questions and learn more about this.



Campus Ministry Sessions = 12 total sessions!
Honestly, I just want to hang out in Central Chat with Dr. McCarty and talk about his work with Going, Going, Gone and his research about why young people are leaving the Catholic Church.  As a Catholic school leader, I need to converse about Catholic youth evangelization.  And it is better to do it with an expert like Dr. McCarty!



Classroom Management Sessions = 17 total sessions!
 I just want to meet Fr. Nuzzi, since my doctoral project group at SLU has read a TON of articles that he has written about Catholic school leadership and being the spiritual leader of Catholic schools as Catholic school principals.  But I bet his session about improving classroom teaching will be good too.




Collaborative Partnerships Sessions = 35 total sessions!
I am very interested to hear what Jodee Blanco has to say about parents bullying the Catholic school.  Apparently she has written books and does keynote speaking about bullying.  She even just did a webinar for NCEA on how to handle exclusionary bullying.  I'm excited to hear what she has to say about parents bullying.

I will go to listen to anything that Sr. Mary Angela Shaughnessy has to say.  I have read all of her books, and she is so up-to-date with current topics dealing in the law realm of Catholic schools.






Digital Discipleship = 6 total sessions!
Seriously, I am presenting for the first time at #NCEA19.  And it is going to be in the Central Chat!  I have prepared detailed ways how to get on Twitter, build your professional learning network (PLN), and participate in personalized professional development.  I promise that Twitter has made me a MUCH better Catholic school teacher and Catholic school leader.





Diversity Sessions = 10 total sessions!
Heather Gossart is the Director of Executive Mentoring/Coaching and Senior Consultant for NCEA.  Honestly, I want to listen to a panel discussion about a topic that has been discussed a lot recently by our bishops.




Early Childhood Education = 8 total sessions!
Susan Ferguson, the Executive Director of the Center for Catholic Education at the University of Dayton, will present with Dr. Shauna Adams, the Executive Director of the Center for Early Learning at the University of Dayton.  For the future of our Catholic schools, we must engage the parents of our youngest students, starting when they are in our preschools.  I am excited to hear pro tips from these two very knowledgable presenters.


Enrollment Sessions = 9 total sessions!
It would not be an NCEA Convention and Expo if I did not get to talk with and learn from Dr. Kurt Nelson.  Dr. Nelson will be presenting on two topics that I need to know more about: increasing enrollment and student retention.  I will be learning from an expert for whom I have great respect.


Exceptional Learners Sessions = 15 total sessions!
Both Dr. Maggie Hubbard and Doreen Engel are passionate about inclusion in Catholic schools.  As a hopeful future Catholic school principal, I am eager to learn new ways to implement teacher coaching to support the mission of teaching all of God's children in our Catholic schools.






Fiscal Responsibility Sessions = 10 total sessions!
Shout out to Catholic school educators Jennie Picha and Pete Cerone from St. John Vianney Catholic High School in St. Louis!  I am excited to see their presentation and implement their ideas into my own Catholic parish school.



Governance Sessions = 5 total sessions!
Yes, children do benefit from Catholic schools.  I'd like to hear all the research from Dr. Cheryl Reichel, however.









Leadership Sessions = 34 total sessions!
I have a great respect for Dr. Tim Uhl, Superintendent of Montana Catholic Schools.  If he is speaking about leadership, I will definitely be there.  I have much to learn about leadership from him.





Marketing Sessions = 11 total sessions!
I have great respect for what both Nancy Caramanico and Abbie Greer and what they have done in Catholic education, especially using digital social media platforms to share the good news of their Catholic schools!  I have a lot to learn from them.





National and State Perspective Sessions = 8 total sessions!
Yes, I want to hear what the President and CEO of NCEA has to say about the state of Catholic education.  It will be riveting and informative.  I am really looking forward to this session!




Student Engagement/Academic Rigor Sessions = 14 total sessions!
Seriously, John Meehan just got a book deal with that pirate guy, Dave Burgess.  And yes, I still use Kahoots to review content area in my classrooms.  And yes, I think I can challenge myself to bring something more engaging back to my students.  I'm looking forward to meeting this fellow #CathEdSocial tweeter in person!




Student Faith Formation Sessions = 20 total sessions!
I get excited any time I get to hear Dr. Bob McCarty present about his research on why our young people are leaving the Catholic Church!  Honestly, I just want to hang out in Central Chat with Dr. McCarty and talk about his work with Going, Going, GoneCan we make this happen at #NCEA19?



Student Formation Sessions = 2 total sessions!
I loved reading The Joy of the Gospel by Pope Francis, so I am probably going to enjoy this breakout session too.  The real question is, which John Collins is presenting this session because when I Google search "John Collins," I am not quite sure.....however, it could be the Dr. John J. Collins who is the President of the Catholic Biblical Association and a professor at Yale.  I'm excited to hear about this topic though.




Student Services/Programs Sessions = 15 total sessions!
Shout out to my Saint Louis University Ed.D cohort member, Mallory Green, who is the Campus Minister at St. Mary's High School in St. Louis.  She, along with her colleague Katie Albin, Director of Admissions, will present how to develop servant leaders, and it will be excellent!




Technology Integration Sessions = 13 total sessions!
I am hoping that Keven Rinaman teaches me 1) how to get a 3D printer in my classroom, and 2) what to do with it exactly.  I am also excited to meet fellow #CathEdSocial tweeter in real life!



What I Am MOST Excited About
Yes, I am most excited about the #CatholicEdChat Social Media Hub because 1) that is where I am presenting, 2) I need a place to tweet everything awesome that is happening at #NCEA19, and 3) in years past, there has been a monitor that filters and shows ALL tweets with the hashtag.  It is a great idea to gather here and connect!



Also, are you not sure if you have enough $$$ to attend?  NCEA has provided a "Justification Letter" to fill out and submit to your local LEA to use Title II Part A funding.  It is printed on page 11 of the Preliminary Program for the #NCEA19 Convention & Expo.

I continue to be SO EXCITED to get to #NCEA19 in the Windy City in April.  My hotel is booked.  My presentation is almost complete.  I have chosen sessions to attend from the Preliminary Program.  I have tweeted my excitement all week.  I will continue to count down to the biggest gathering of Catholic school educators in the country.  As of today, there are only 157 more days until #NCEA19!  I am praying for a successful conference for all Catholic school educators.  Come, Holy Spirit!  Unite us with your JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment